FANTASPORTO is considered without any doubts, the biggest film festival in Portugal and one of the 25 leading festivals of the world, being as well the world leader in fantasy films.
Fantasporto is the Head of the Board of the European Federation of Fantasy Film Festivals.
The Festival main purpose is the screening and promotion films of quality, both aesthetically and thematically, and to seek new forms and methods of filmmaking.
The Festival has eight sections.
- Official Competition for Fantasy Films – new feature and short films, unreleased in Portugal with fantasy as main genre. Both features and shorts (these maximum 15 minutes in length) must have been produced between 2010 and 2011.
- Official Competition Directors Week –for new feature films in all subjects other than fantasy, unreleased in Portugal and produced between 2010 and 2011.
- Official Competition Orient Express - for Asiatic feature films, unreleased in Portugal and produced between 2010 and 2011.
Non- Competitive Sections:
- Official Section Panorama & Première- for feature films in all subjects, unreleased in Portugal.
- Anima-te (Animation features and shorts)
- Panorama of Portuguese Cinema
- Fantas in Shorts- short films in all genres.